One critical feature of all organized home and business offices is adequate amounts of usable shelving. Let’s discuss the options available for shelving that works for pure functional uses. Here are some pure utilitarian shelving solutions that are true work horses…great for closets or forgotten corners. This is shelving that functionally organizes!
- Books and binders typically are stored on shelves 12″ deep.
- Books, binders and paper can be very heavy. Shelves made of wood or particle board spanning more than 36″ will eventually sag under heavy weight. If hanging off a wall, secure supports into studs.
- Shelving that is 18″ to 24″ deep does not necessarily provide more usable storage. The added depth is cumbersome in that items in the back become inaccessible unless pull out shelves are used.
- For the most efficient organization, shelves should be adjustable
- With ventilated shelving or wire grid shelving, baskets or trays may need to be used to prevent small things from dropping through.
WALL STANDARDS AND BRACKETS (shown above)
This is an economical solution when non-typical shelving lengths and tons of flexibility are required. Additionally this can accommodate MANY shelves. Many big box stores will cut your shelves to your specified lengths in the store. Shelves typically are particle board or wire grid. Very simple to install as seen in this link on How To Install Wall Standards and Brackets
PULL OUT SHELVES
This is a great solution when the available space is deeper than 18″ deep making things in back hard to reach. Shelf Genie offers this very effective solution for storage in an existing closet.
SIMPLE CLOSED WOOD OR PARTICLE BOARD BOOKCASES
Comes in many heights, widths, colors and finishes. Opt for ADJUSTABLE SHELVES when possible. Home Decorators offers many options for wood bookcases. Tvilum offers many sizes options for particle board bookcases. These are less costly than wood bookcases although may not be as sturdy or stable. Check website for retailers
OPEN METAL SHELVING
This is a great solution when heavy duty shelving for large sized items is needed. Great looking BUT shelves are NOT ADJUSTABLE. Available through Lowes and Home Depot in many widths and heights.
CHEAP AND EASY TO ASSEMBLE: PLASTIC SHELVING
Not terribly attractive by itself but this is a perfect solution inside a closet or an out of view storage area. It is cheap, light weight to move and assembles quickly. Readily available at Lowes and Home Depot with ventilated and non ventilated shelves. NOTE: Shelves are NOT ADJUSTABLE.
Langton Designs creates workplaces that work well and feel right